You can delay the delivery of an email message or you can use rules to delay the delivery of all messages by having them held in the Outbox for a specified time after you click Send.
Note If you are using a POP3 (POP3: A common protocol that is used to retrieve e-mail messages from an Internet e-mail server.) or IMAP (IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol): Unlike Internet e-mail protocols such as POP3, IMAP creates folders on a server to store/organize messages for retrieval by other computers. You can read message headers only and select which messages to download.) account, Outlook must remain open until the message is sent. To determine the type of account you are using, click the File tab, click Account Settings, and then click Account Settings. On the E-mail tab, the Type column lists the type of accounts that are in your active Outlook profile.
Delay the delivery of a message
- In the message, on the Options tab, in the More Options group, click Delay Delivery.
- Click Message Options.
- Under Delivery options, select the Do not deliver before check box, and then click the delivery date and time that you want.
After you click Send, the message remains in the Outbox folder until the delivery time.
If you decide later that you want to send the message immediately, do the following:
- In Mail, in the Navigation Pane, click the Outbox folder.
- Open the delayed message.
- On the Options tab, in the More Options group, click Delay Delivery.
- Under Delivery options, clear the Do not deliver before check box.
- Click Close.
- Click Send.
Top of Page
Delay the delivery of all messages
- Click the File tab.
- Click Manage Rules and Alerts.
- Click New Rule.
- In the Step 1: Select a template box, under Start from a Blank Rule, click Apply rule on messages I send, and then click Next.
- In the Step 1: Select condition(s) list, select the check boxes for any options that you want, and then click Next.
If you do not select any check boxes, a confirmation dialog box appears. If you click Yes, the rule that you are creating is applied to all messages that you send.
- In the Step 1: Select action(s) list, select the defer delivery by a number of minutes check box.
- In the Step 2: Edit the rule description (click an underlined value) box, click the underlined phrase a number of and enter the number of minutes for which you want the messages to be held before sending.
Delivery can be delayed up to 120 minutes.
- Click OK, and then click Next.
- Select the check boxes for any exceptions that you want.
- Click Next.
- In the Step 1: Specify a name for this rule box, type a name for the rule.
- Select the Turn on this rule check box.
- Click Finish.
After you click Send, each message remains in the Outbox folder for the time that you specified.
Top of Page